- Do you write fiction or non-fiction? Or both?
Does this blog count as nonfiction? Then it's yes to both. For my pleasure writing I only write fiction. I have no real desire to be a non-fiction writer.
- Do you keep a journal or a writing notebook?
I used to keep pretty detailed journals and I haven't in a long time. No clue why, I really think I should have liked to look back at my journals from the past few years if I had kept any.
- If you write fiction, do you know your characters’ goals, motivations, and conflicts before you start writing or is that something else you discover only after you start writing? Do you find books on plotting useful or harmful?
If I'm trying to work out a character, their motivation usually comes to me in fits and starts. I don't know everything to start, but as I write, their attitude develops. And I haven't read any books about plotting, but I plan to as I would like to learn more in that particular area.
- Are you a procrastinator or does the itch to write keep at you until you sit down and work?
Definitely procrastinator. When the itch strikes, though, I can sit for a long time until I run out of ideas or get really tired.
- Do you write in short bursts of creative energy, or can you sit down and write for hours at a time?
Well, I guess I kind of answered that one already. Short bursts of creative energy. I do not sustain well unless I feel inspired. One reason I am still an aspiring writer.
- Are you a morning or afternoon writer?
Night-time. I don't feel creative until later in the day.
- Do you write with music/the noise of children/in a cafe or other public setting, or do you need complete silence to concentrate?
Complete silence, although music sometimes works. Definitely no TVs.
- Computer or longhand? (or typewriter?)
Computer. I can't write fast enough to keep up with my thoughts and I retype things too frequently.
- Do you know the ending before you type Chapter One? Or do you let the story evolve as you write?
I never know how a story is going to end. Which is why I'm going to buy a book about plotting as I don't think that is the best way to write.
- Does what’s selling in the market influence how and what you write?
Nope. I just want to write. I don't want to have to support myself financially by it, leaving me free to write whatever the hell I want to.
- Editing/Revision - love it or hate it?
Love it... how else would I get from the rough outline down into the actual story?
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Write on Wednesday
This Week's Question is a Questionnaire in honor of school starting soon.