Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Book Memes

I've been tagged for like... forever for a couple of memes, but I was deep into nanowrimoing at the time. So now, only two months behind, here I am! Ta da.

Stephanie tagged me for the Seven Random Bookish Things About Me meme.

The rules are:
Link to the person who tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
Share seven random and/or weird book facts about yourself.
Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
Let each person know that they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
  1. I am a book abuser. Not because I like destroying books, but because I have the tendency to like to read while doing activities that are incompatible with reading, such as eating, blowdrying my hair, etc.
  2. I lose bookmarks at an outrageous rate.
  3. More than one of my books has corners chewed or pages licked thanks to my book-loving puppy.
  4. My dad can still recite the opening lines of my favorite childhood book, Katy the Kitty. Because he read it over that many times.
  5. I never organize my bookshelves. My husband attempts this periodically, and I support this organization system by haphazardly tossing my recent reads wherever there is room, and when there isn't, stacking them in front of the bookshelf.
  6. People who get all snooty about what kinds of books should be read by all "literate adults" drive me fracking nuts
  7. Mostly due to my insane reading habit as a child, I had a very large vocabulary that I did not always properly know how to use. Or pronounce. I swear, picturesque really looks like it should be pronounced picture-a-skew not picture-esk.
Anywho. Trish presented me with the Bookworm Award/Meme.

Rules:

Open the closest book to you, not your favorite or most intellectual book, but the book closest to you at the moment, to page 56. Write out the fifth sentence, as well as two to five sentences following.

From The Road by Cormac McCarthy:

I should have done it a long time ago. When there were three bullets in the gun instead of two. I was stupid. We've been over all of this. I didnt bring myself to this. I was brought. And now Im done.

That is quite the bright and cheery passage, much like the rest of the novel, which continues on that delightful theme. Note: DO NOT read this before eating, immediately after eating, or right before bed.

And moving right on to Eva's Bookshelf Meme, which Nymeth thoughtfully tagged me for.

Tell me about...

The book that’s been on your shelves the longest: Digging around on my shelf, I discovered that I still have a copy of Sideways Stories From Wayside School. Do ya'll remember this one by Louis Sachar? Man I loved this book, and the sequels to it. The school was supposed to be thirty classrooms all next to each other in a row, but instead they were built one on top of each other.

And my favorite chapter, chapter 19:

"There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry."

A book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time, etc.): Oh man, Pride and Prejudice always reminds me of staying up late to finish it late at night because once I would pick it up, I couldn't put it back down.

A book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used bookstore, prize, etc.): I got to pick up a copy of The Graveyard Book at a book-signing event with Neil Gaiman, and that was pretty darn awesome. And it was on my birthday.

The most recent addition to your shelves: My bro got me Papertowns by John Green for Christmas and I already done read it.

A book that’s been with you to the most places:
501 Spanish Conjugations has come with me to more Spanish-speaking countries than you can shake a stick at.

A bonus book that you want to talk about but doesn’t fit into the other questions:

I'm finally going to attempt Pillars of the Earth which I find to be excessively long and intimidating.

So there you have it. I'm going to be a loser and not tag anyone, but if you want to do these memes, please let me know and I'll come visit

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

You can always tell a well loved book by how tattered and worn it is. :-) And I have a few books that have the marks of my beasts on them. LOL

And I agree with you on #6. You and I should be allowed to read what we want, regardless.

I will be interested to hear what you think of Pillars of the Earth. I read it awhile ago and it didn't take me as long as I expected--it actually went really fast for me, unlike my current book which seems to be taking forever. Ugh.

Ana S. said...

"People who get all snooty about what kinds of books should be read by all "literate adults" drive me fracking nuts"

haha...me too.

Pillars of the Earth intimidates me too, but I've heard very good things about it.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Pillars of the Earth is really long but it's good. I have his follow up book on my shelf, but I'm intimidated to read it. Silly, I know.

I am kind of a book abuser as well, but I've gotten better about it. No more spine breaking here!

Susan said...

Great post, Kim! I loved all your answers, especially how the book snobs tell us what books should be read...and everyone loves Pillars of the Earth, and I can't get past the opening pages! I've tried twice now, and get bogged down at the same place.

I have to admit that I hate when people break my books, but I have been known to turn down corners, mark my books, and even break it open so I can read it more easily (usually while eating). I love that you read while blowdrying your hair!! and the stories of the books not being organized on your shelves!