Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Out of this World Mini-Challenge

To coincide with the Sci-Fi Experience, Carl hosted an Out of This World Mini Challenge for the Dewey's Books Reading Challenge. The goal was to spend the weekend reading sci-fi short stories. Short stories are something I always mean to read, but tend to not get around to, so it was fun to take some time to do so today. And with no further ado, here's what I read and some quick thoughts about it.

The Father Thing by Phillip K. Dick is a chilling little story about what happens when a young boy sees that the man who walks around and looks his his father, is not actually his father. It isn't as if this an uncommon theme in science fiction, but I enjoyed Dick's take on it. Read it here.

The Cold Equations by Tom Goodwin is about what happens when the unexpected element of human nature is thrown into a cold scientific equation. Nail-biting. Read it here.

Neutron Star by Larry Niven is my first return to his "Known Universe" since I reread Ringworld recently. More about the Puppeteers, who send Beowulf Shaeffer to investigate a neutron star that has recently destroyed one of their supposedly indestructible ships. Funny, if some parts get a little too technical. Read it here.

The Egan Thief by Gord Sellar. What happens when every book, every story you try to write ends up sounding suspiciously like a book just recently written by another writer? How can someone steal your ideas before you even think of them? Read it here.

Thanks Carl for hosting this mini-challenge!

2 comments:

Ana S. said...

I wish I had read The Cold Equations! It seems that everyone loved it. Ah well, never too late.

Alice said...

I haven't seen any of the books you've listed but they give me an idea of what to look for.

I've just finished a children's book George's Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy and Stephen Hawking. I think this book fits into this challenge. I am not a participant, though. :)