Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Booking Through Thursday

This week's question:

What’s the worst book you’ve read recently?
(I figure it’s easier than asking your all-time worst, because, well, it’s recent!)

Of books I didn't actually finish recently, Away by Amy Bloom was one I really didn't like. Obviously, it could have gotten better towards the end, but I did sit in on the book club discussion, and those who finished it didn't have that exciting of things to say either.

Of books I did manage to finish, I really, really didn't like Eclipse One, which was a collection of science fiction-themed stories. I say science-fiction themed because some of them really didn't strike me as being very science-fictiony at all.

9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Away sounds like a book to skip then!

jlshall said...

I've read some reviews that were really positive about this book. But it just sounds too depressing for my taste. I'd probably never finish it, either.

Unknown said...

OK will stay away from both of those. Finishing a bad book is hard.

Jess said...

Haven't read either book -- sorry they were not enjoyable!

Susan said...

Two more to avoid - thank-you BTT! I chose The Reader by Bernhard Schlink as my most recent BAD read. You can check out my thoughts here.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read either of these and will do my best to steer clear...

Melody said...

I didn't enjoy Away either. I find it slow and urm...a little boring.

Kim L said...

bermudaonion-yeah, hate to say it, but yes.

jlshall-depressing is the right word for it. Also, the characters are always so remote, you never really connect to any of them.

busy91-it is hard! I usually don't have the patience for it.

jess-probably for the best :-)

susan-interesting, your pic sounded good to me.

rhinoa-totally. Neither seems like your style anyhow.

melody-exactly my problem!

Alice said...

I haven't read either one and no plans to do so...