Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Suggested by John :
How about a chance to play editor-in-chief? Fill in the blanks:
__________ would have been a much better book if ______________________.

Oohhh... great question. And this question has an excellent crossover appeal to movies. (For example: Transformers would have been a better movie if Michael Bay had taken up underwater basket-weaving instead of making movies. And if they had hired writers.)

First of let me start with my college textbooks. They would have been much better books if only they didn't cost $150 apiece and have chapters the length of a decent-sized novel.

Wuthering Heights would have been a much better book if it wasn't so dang long. And moody.

Silmarillion would have been a better book if there had been a plot.

A Walk to Remember would have been a better book if only the main character would have keeled over earlier in the book. Or maybe if the author could have worked in blood-sucking vampires somehow (hey vampires made the Gardella books interesting).

His Dark Materials trilogy would have been a better series if the momentum of the first book hadn't petered out by the second book.

Scarlett (the sequel to Gone With the Wind)... well the only thing that would have helped this one is if Margaret Mitchell had risen from her grave and written the thing herself.

Although I certainly don't like every book I read, I'm having a hard time coming up with books. I really think movies would be easier, and I may have to put some thought into a list of my own worst ever movies.

14 comments:

Eva said...

I totally second textbooks!! lol @ Wuthering Heights...it wouldn't be wuthering heights without all that angst! Not my favourite book, but I did like it in middle school (all those hormones). I will never touch a sequel to a classic not written by the author-I think it's just wrong. But I'm a purist sometimes.

Melody said...

I think the same about those textbooks too!! I haven't read the books you listed except A Walk to Remember, which overall I think the premise is fine. And that reminds me I need to catch up on his latest books...

Hope you've a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I suspect you're going to get no argument about the textbook issue, especially if you need them for one essay and then never, ever again.

Anonymous said...

I love The Silmarillion, His Dark Materials, Wuthering Heights and Scarlet! I know what you mean about university textbooks being so expensive and heavy to lug around with you.

Juli said...

Or how about when you have to buy the book just because the prof wrote it (and it totally stinks). AND it still costs 150. Thats a bummer too!!!!! I hear you!

Kim L said...

eva-true wuthering heights wouldn't have been the masterpiece it is without the length. I did enjoy parts of it, but I mostly remember it being long!

melody-I should preface my snarky comments by saying I'm not a big romance reader. Actually A Walk to Remember is probably one of Nicholas Sparks' better books.

table talk-yes! Isn't it annoying?

rhinoa-don't get me wrong, I got enjoyment out of all of those books, actually. They all have their plus sides. But there are too many textbooks I did not like at all!

juli-oh my gosh, yes! I had a prof like that, and the book didn't even relate to the course at all! It was like what the heck.

trish said...

...don't hate me, but I think A Walk To Remember would have been better if Nicolas Sparks hadn't taken up writing as a career. Ugh, I don't like his writing at all. But that's just my opinion. :-)

Kim L said...

trish-that is pretty much my opinion too. I admit freely, I'm kind of biased, I don't like sappy. And his books practically tap into maple trees.

Anonymous said...

One of the perks of being ICS is I can't remember the last time I paid more than a total of $150 for a complete semester of books. The bittersweet aspect of that is I can't really sell them back becauase they are so relevant, usuful and amazing that I can see myself referencing the rest the of my life. Heck, I already am. I'm such a nerd. ;)

And it was great seeing you last night!!

Alice said...

"A Walk to Remember" made me cry buckets. I have the same thoughts on "His Dark Material" series.

Anonymous said...

I think we do need thinner text books costing much less. I am saying that as a teacher!

Here is my BTT post!

Kim L said...

giulia-if you enjoy your text books than you can just consider yourself lucky. I liked some of my textbooks I guess, but overall I had far too many that were far too lame.

alice teh-that movie does make me cry. And I don't even like it that much!

gt-at least you have the choice about which textbooks to pick!

Anonymous said...

I never even thought about textbooks! I finally have an answer other than "I probably wouldn't change too much in anything."

I remember trying to read Scarlett, after finishing Gone with the Wind but I just couldn't do it. Mitchell is really the only one who could have added anything on without the rest of the world hating it.

Also, regarding your "about me," you could always use audiobooks while you are in the shower, but I have never gotten into hearing the book - I just prefer to hold them in my hands. Still, it is always an option...

Kim L said...

Yeah only Margaret Mitchell could have done a sequel to Gone With the Wind.

I suppose I could listen to audio books in the shower, I had never thought of that. Great idea!