Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sci Fi Experience Wrap-up

The very first book challenge (or experience) I entered as a blogger was the Sci Fi experience, and it got me hooked into book blogging. So I have to say thanks to Carl V for hosting!

If I had all the time in the world, I'd probably read scifi nonstop, but real life intrudes, so here is how far I got:

I started with The Handmaid's Tale, a fascinating look at a dystopian future where women are kept in near slavery and reading is outlawed.

My next book happened to be scifi as well. Feed was a look into a future that, while not as bleak as The Handmaid's Tale perhaps, was sure not all sunshine and daisies. Everyone worth anything is connected to a feed in their brain which allows them to chat and access the next generation internet. But things are not always what they seem....

And finally, I found a new favorite author in Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game was a great read - thought-provoking, interesting, enjoyable.

Carl, I hope you host this challenge again. I could always use an excuse to read more scifi.

3 comments:

Debi said...

I just finished up Ender's Game this morning. All I can say at the moment is "wow"...and of course that's so inadequate. I didn't read your review the other day, because I'd already started the book, but I'm off to read it now.

Ana S. said...

Stupid real life, getting in the way of our reading :P

Both Ender's Game and The Handmaid's Tale are books I really really ought to read.

Kim L said...

debi-it is a really great book isn't it? I think its great how a book can be like that.

nymeth-agreed. I want a clone of myself to go to work and earn me money so I can read and blog. Yes, those are both goods books to read, I would recommend either one highly!