Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How I Spent My Weekend

Labor Day Weekend

I had a three day weekend thanks to Labor Day, and I pretty much did not do a single of my usual weekend chores. Instead, I went to a wedding, played scrabble against my dad (lost big time) and then on Monday, scrapbooked a little, finished reading Neverwhere, and spent a lot of time having fun on FieldReport.com.

Dewey first brought it to my attention, but a number of other blog friends have been talking about it. It is a website where writers can submit short non-fiction essays and readers can review them. What makes it very cool is that you earn points for each review, which you can use towards publishing your own fiction, or giving stories you especially like a little "nudge."

And they have some pretty cool prizes to give away. I actually published an essay there already, which you can now read.

Watchmen

I finished Watchmen a while back, but I haven't had the willpower to review it yet. It was the first superhero comic I have read and about halfway through I began to suspect it shouldn't have been my first read in that genre. Now, that's not to say I didn't like Watchmen... by the time I got to the end, everything had been wrapped up the way it should be, and I couldn't have imagined any other ending for the book, but how can I put it... it left me wishing for some other more traditional superhero ending, maybe?

Anyhow, going back to the Weekly Geeks idea from before, does anyone have any questions about the book or my little mini-review here? I appreciate it!

6 comments:

Ana S. said...

Isn't Fieldreport great? *clicks on link to your essay*

I haven't read Watchment yet, but I have it on one of my challenge lists. I haven't read many superhero comics either, and it sounds like I really should before I pick it up. There's always Neil Gaiman's The Eternals, which I've been meaning to get to anyway. Anyway, I don't have any specific questions, but I look forward to your review.

Melody said...

Sounds like you had an enjoyable weekend, Kim!

Congrats on the essay publishing! I'm going to read it after I've typed out this post. :)

Alice said...

Love reading what you did on your long weekend, Kim! Neverwhere is a fun book. It was a three-day weekend here in Malaysia too because of national day celebration.

Will go read your essay after this. Coolness! :)

Anonymous said...

Watchmen is a pretty difficult comic book to start with -- it isn't so much part of the super hero genre as it making commentary on the genre itself. I really liked it, but I was reading it in a class and had a lot of opportunity to discuss it with others. I think it's one to think about, not necessarily to just read and put away, if that makes sense. I posted a review of it on my blog, http://grayskyeyes.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/weekly-geeks-challenge-5/

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Eh--doing the usual weekend chores is overrated. It seems like you had a productive weekend, anyway!

When I picked up Persepolis a few weeks ago the cashier highly recommended Watchmen. I've also seen a preview for the upcoming movie so I'm pretty curious about it. I haven't read any superhero comics and I'm not entirely convinced it is my thing.

Susan said...

I'm picking up Watchmen shortly, because of the movie, and I want to read it first. So my questions to you about your reading of it are: Is it worth reading? I know from one of your commentators that this comicbook is making a comment on the genre; however, I want to know: does it succceed in commenting on it? Is it a smart (intelligent) comic book? Did you like the characters, and were there any you related to?
and congrats on your fun, no housework/chores weekend!!! I'm all for that too!! lol