Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Vampyres of Hollywood

Vampyres of Hollywood by Adrienne Barbeau and Michael Scott
Reason for Reading: RIP III
Rating: 4/5

You do not typically find me reading vampire novels. I also am not usually found reading police procedurals, but for whatever reason I happened to request this one.

And it turns out, that's a good thing.

Funny, quick-witted, campy, and leading up to an ending that would have been dopey in any other context, this book had me hooked.

Here's the first few lines:

It took an X-ray and an autopsy to confirm that Jason Eddings had been killed with the Oscar he'd won for Best Actor just six hours earlier.

He deserved it.

The Oscar, that is.

As for being murdered, well, he probably deserved that too.


Three gruesome celebrity murders within two weeks, each one connected to Ovsanna Moore, a powerful B-level scream queen. Ovsanna is practically an institution in Hollywood as she now heads up Anticipation films, a studio on the brink of making it really big.

But her big break is going to be drying up fast if she can't discover who's messing with her and her clan.

Her vampyre clan that is. Ovsanna is the 500 year old leader of the Hollywood vampires.

The other major player in this book is Peter King, a Hollywood detective with the smarts and persistence to crack the crime. If people will just stop dying around him.

I really liked this book. It had enough humor and snarky writing to keep a premise that could have worn thin, going strong throughout the book. I recommend it to fans of the vampire and/or detective genre, but don't let the labels put you off if you're looking for a light read.

Other reviews: Stephanie's Confessions of a Bookaholic, A Book Blogger's Diary

3 comments:

Ana S. said...

This sounds like such a fun read.

Anonymous said...

I echo Nymeth, sounds fun! I do like my vampire books as well.

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you liked this book!! I thought it was so much fun!! And Adrienne Barbeau is just too cool!!