Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, December 14, 2008

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 1

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 1 by Alan Moore
Reason for Reading: Graphic Novels Challenge
Rating: 3/5

After the events of Dracula, a disgraced Mina Harker has set herself up with a new task - recruiting various Victorian "heroes" for a league who's aim is a bit unclear at first. They know that they are working for for a mysterious man named M. Mina is sure that M is Mylecroft Holmes, the brother of Sherlock, but other members of the League are less certain that the purpose of their adventures is so noble.

Despite how horrid the movie based on this graphic novel was, this is a worthwhile read. There are lots of inside references I didn't get (I clearly haven't read enough Victorian literature), but it was interesting to speculate on what would happen with a league composed of the Invisible Man, Captain Nemo, Allan Quartermain, Mina Harker, Dr. Jekyll.

In this steampunk vision of Victorian England, there are airships, blimps, evil warlords, and secret conspiracies to rule England. It is a unique and interesting vision, and I enjoyed the read, although it didn't quite have the heft of the previous graphic novels I have read this year. The more you know about the Victorian reads referenced within, the more you'll enjoy it.

Other reviews:
Nymeth

6 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I have this one my immediate TBR shelf to read. I am hoping to get it read for the Graphic Novels Challenge, which I seem to have forgotten about. Oops! Better get reading!

Ana S. said...

"The more you know about the Victorian reads referenced within, the more you'll enjoy it."

Yup, I agree...and there were a lot of references I missed. But like you I still enjoyed it, and I plan on reading the rest of the series.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I haven't read this one, but I did really enjoy all of the literary references in the movie. I think my next graphic novel will be Watchmen--have you read that one?

Kim L said...

literary feline-heehee, there's always a challenge I've forgotten about somewhere along the lines.

nymeth-I thought it was enjoyable as well. I have to see how many more there are.

trish-why yes I have read Watchmen. I did review it here, and I think it is worth reading... if a bit heavy.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I thought I remembered seeing it here!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I really love this graphic novel. There is an excellent companion book by Jess Nevins called Heroes and Monsters that goes into panel by panel discussion of all the things referenced. It is really fun. It is a travesty what they did to this with the film, it really is.